Monday, November 17, 2008

i've gotta use it.

Twice this week, this has happened to me. While working intently on a paper in a local coffee shop, I've had the urge to utilize the "wash room" for a while...but, I've got to complete this paragraph. Finally, my body goes into high alert and with it my brain and sense of pride -- finishing a sentence at the price of walking around the rest of the day with wet pants is not worth it. So, I get up and try to calmly make my way to the bathroom, nervous smile plastered to my face. Inevitably, someone stops me to chat. I squirm, trying to be polite as they finish their extended greeting.

Then I'm there. I've made it. Almost. Something doesn't look quite right. Toilet paper is dissolving in the bottom of the potty. I'm suspicious. I decide to flush the toilet first -- just to make sure. Bad idea. Yep. The water in the toilet does not recede. Instead, the bowl begins to fill at an alarming rate.


Note to self: In these circumstances, just adhere to the rule about "if its yellow, let it mellow..." Lindsey. Just pee in the toilet. DON'T FLUSH IT FIRST.


On both occasions, I have been lucky -- the water stopped JUST in time. You know, at that point where just enough water is sloshing out of the toilet to get your shoes a little wet.


What is one to do? I mean, if you go out and tell the baristas that "someone else clogged the toilet and now its overflowing..." do you REALLY think they're going to believe that? Besides, these people are my friends...I don't want them to deal with it. The worst thing to do is just leave it. That's really a jerk thing to do. That's why I'm in this mess in the first place. So, I end up standing over the toilet, plunger in hand, obscenities trying to escape through my pursed lips.


...by now, I'm about to burst.


one way or another, we collide. my decisions and yours inevitably affect the lives of others.

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

OMG! that is so hilarious. I personally feel that going to bathroom is a total waste of time and I totally put it off which always makes for major emergencies later but then these can also be easily put off. I just simply don't have the time